This apple, cheddar and walnut sausage roll is a recipe that captures the essence of autumn. Imagine the fragrant aroma of sage mingling with the sharp notes of mature cheddar, the subtle sweetness of diced apples and the satisfying crunch of walnuts – all encased in golden puff pastry.
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C. Finely chop the onion and cook with a little butter and a pinch of salt until tender.
2. Dice the apples and mix in the sausage meat, grated cheddar, parmesan, breadcrumbs, onion, sage and walnuts gently. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
3. Roll out the puff pastry to about 3mm thickness and return it to the fridge to keep cold.
4. Once the sausage mixture has chilled, shape it into a thick, fat sausage about the diameter of a golf ball.
5. Gently place the sausage onto the rolled-out puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry to the same length as the sausage, then roll the pastry over the sausage, ensuring it ends with a double fold on the bottom. Brush the pastry with beaten egg to seal it.
6. Trim any loose bits then brush the entire roll with egg wash. Sprinkle sea salt flakes, grated walnuts or seeds on top of the egg wash to make it look lovely when baked.
7. Bake at 160°C for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Serve the sausage rolls freshly baked!