Friday 14 February 2020
Do you want to start composting at home? Perhaps you have given composting a go in the past, but it didn’t work. Or you've recently moved home and want to save some money in the garden? To help Essex residents get started with composting at home, we’re running a number of free workshops to provide an introduction to home composting. Everyone who attends will also receive a compost bin delivered to their home, free of charge.
What will the compost workshop involve?
Each workshop will provide an introduction to home composting and will be roughly one hour long and will cover the following topics:
- What are the benefits of composting
- What to put in and what not to put in your home compost bin
- How to set up and maintain your compost bin
- How to use the soil improver from your compost bin
- How to avoid common problems
Once you have attended a compost workshop you will receive either a 220 or 330 litre compost bin delivered to your home free of charge usually within six weeks following the workshop.
Where will the compost workshops be held?
We are pleased to be able to offer compost workshops in the following areas and dates. Please note that workshops are only available to residents who live in the Essex County Council statutory areas, which excludes Southend and Thurrock.
- St George's Church hall, Ongar Road, CM14 4XU - Saturday 21 March, 10am - 11am
- Cressing Temple Barns, Witham Road, CM77 8PD - Wednesday 1 April, 6pm - 7pm
- Chelmsford City Council Civic Centre, Duke Street, CM1 1JE - Thursday 2 April, 6pm - 7pm
- Tendring District Council Offices, Thorpe Road, Weeley, CO16 9AJ - Saturday 18 April, 10am - 11am
- Maldon District Council Offices, Princes Road, Maldon, CM9 5DL - Tuesday 21 April, 6pm - 7pm
- Colchester Town Hall, High Street, Colchester, CO1 1PJ - Thursday 23 April, 6pm - 7pm
- Castle Point Borough Council Farmhouse Depot, Canvey Road, Canvey Island, SS8 0QU - Saturday 25 April, 10am - 11am
- Uttlesford District Council Offices, London Road, Saffron Walden, CB11 4ER - Wednesday 29 April, 6pm - 7pm
- Wat Tyler Park, Pitsea, SS16 4UH - Thursday 30 April, 6pm - 7pm
Sign up to attend one of our free 'Introduction to Home Composting' workshops
Find out more about home composting
Try composting at home
How do I compost at home?
Why should I compost at home?