Tuesday 5 January 2021
All recycling centres in Essex remain open during normal operating hours. Wherever possible, please use your kerbside collections. This is the safest and easiest way to dispose of your household waste and recycling.
If you do visit a recycling centre, there may be delays as we limit the number of vehicles and pedestrians on the site. For the safety of all site users no one is permitted to unload their vehicle whilst queuing. Users will be allowed on site in order of arrival, therefore no one is permitted to walk in waste from their vehicle. Social distancing and new site restrictions are also in place.
Do not visit if you are shielding, self-isolating or showing any symptoms of Covid-19.
Essex County Council (ECC) recycling centres are licenced by the Environment Agency and are for household waste only. Limits apply on DIY and construction waste. Business, trade and commercial waste is not accepted at any ECC recycling centre. Find out more about disposing of business and trade waste.
CCTV and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is in operation at the sites for the purpose of crime prevention and public safety.
Recycling centre rules
- Don't queue before the site opens - this stops site staff and collection crews from accessing the depots
- Long queues outside the sites can add to local traffic congestion - you may be asked to move on if you're causing an obstruction
- Follow site staff instructions, treat site staff with respect and be considerate of other site users
- Vehicle and pedestrians on site will be limited and controlled at the gate with a one in, one out system
- Site staff will be directing traffic and will show you where to park
- Maintain social distancing from site staff and other site users at all times including on stairs and walkways
- Sites are subject to temporary closures during busy periods
- Site staff are unable to help remove items from your vehicle
- Users are not allowed to park their vehicle outside the site and walk waste into the site
- Site staff reserve the right to prevent vans and trailers from accessing sites during busy periods in order to ensure sites operate as fully as possible
- Please consider wearing a face covering to protect customers and site staff
Items accepted at any ECC recycling centre
The following items can be taken to any ECC recycling centre as long as they are from your own household:
Clothing and textiles
Light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
Mixed glass bottles and jars
Small electrical appliances
Wood and timber
Types of recycling centres
There are two types of Essex County Council recycling centre, large recycling centres and small recycling centres. Large and small recycling centres have different vehicle and site restrictions, please read the following information before visiting any recycling centre.
Large recycling centres
The following recycling centres are classed as large recycling centres:
Braintree Recycling Centre
Brentwood Recycling Centre
Chelmsford Recycling Centre
Clacton Recycling Centre
Colchester Recycling Centre
Harlow Recycling Centre
Maldon Recycling Centre
Pitsea Recycling Centre
Saffron Walden Recycling Centre
Large recycling centre vehicle and site restrictions
Vans (under 3,500kg) will be accepted at large recycling centres if they are carrying your own household waste. Site staff may stop you at the gate to ensure the waste you are carrying has come from your household.
Large recycling centres accept small quantities of some DIY and construction waste, providing you have completed the work yourself and it is from your own household.
In any 28-day period you may not exceed each of the following:
- three wheelbarrow loads (one car boot) of soil, hardcore or gypsum-based products including plasterboard and dry wall lining
- one wheelbarrow load of tiles
In any 6-month period you may not exceed each of the following:
- three large ceramic items (e.g. toilet or wash basin)
- one uPVC or wooden window frame
- one uPVC or wooden door
- three wooden internal doors
- any element of a built-in kitchen
Small recycling centres
The following recycling centres are classed as small recycling centres:
Burnham-on-Crouch Recycling Centre
Canvey Recycling Centre
Chigwell Recycling Centre
Dovercourt Recycling Centre
Kirby-le-Soken Recycling Centre
Lawford Recycling Centre
Mountnessing Recycling Centre
Rayleigh Recycling Centre
South Woodham Ferrers Recycling Centre
Waltham Abbey Recycling Centre
West Mersea Recycling Centre
Witham Recycling Centre
Small recycling centre vehicle and site restrictions
Small recycling centres do not accept any vans (including car derived vans, pick-ups, trucks) or any towed trailer with more than one axle. Vehicles that are not permitted, cannot park outside the site and carry waste into any recycling centre.
DIY and construction waste are not permitted at any small recycling centre. This includes soil, hardcore, plasterboard, tiles, any element of a built-in bathroom or kitchen. This restriction does not currently apply to Rayleigh Recycling Centre which is able to accept small quantities of DIY and construction waste. Please see Rayleigh Recycling Centre page for more information.
Items not accepted at any ECC recycling centre
The following items cannot be taken to any ECC recycling centre. You must arrange a separate collection or disposal of these items.
Fireworks, ammunition and explosives
Find out how to correctly dispose of household hazardous waste in Essex.
Get the most out of your visit
To ensure your visit to any recycling centre is as quick and easy as possible, please be aware of the following:
- Sorting items before visiting will make things easier when you are on site.
- If you bring unsorted items into the site you may be asked to separate these by staff to ensure they can be recycled.
- Switch off your engine when queuing - this will help to keep air pollution levels down for other site users and staff
- If possible, avoid the weekend and bank holidays when our sites are normally busy.
- Try to avoid bringing waste to the site which you could recycle or dispose of via your kerbside waste collection service as this helps to reduce congestion on site.
- At each site there will be an allocated ‘Reuser’, this person may put reusable items aside for reuse which helps to reduce the environmental impact of waste.
- If disposing of household fridges and freezers, ensure they are defrosted, clean and contain no food.
- A small amount of garden and household chemicals will be accepted. Give these items to a member of site staff.
- If disposing of electrical devices, remove SIM cards and any personal information beforehand.
Site safety at all recycling centres
Members of site staff are there to advise you, please note that aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated. For any accessibility queries please ask a member of site staff for advice.
- Children and pets should be kept inside your vehicle at all times.
- Suitable clothing, gloves and enclosed footwear is advisable when using this site.
- Paths are provided for safety. Please be cautious when moving around the site, especially during wet conditions when surfaces may be slippery.
- Items should be placed (not thrown) in the correct container. If you are unsure what container to use, ask a member of site staff.
Once items are deposited in a container, they cannot be removed. Please donate items in a reusable condition, before visiting a recycling centre.
Find out more about recycling centres
Find your nearest recycling centre
Advice for businesses disposing of their waste in Essex
Fly-tipping in Essex