Your kerbside general rubbish and recycling is collected by Basildon Borough Council. Find out what is accepted in your general rubbish and recycling, as well as how to book a special collection or apply for a clinical waste collection.
Basildon recycling collection
Items accepted in your weekly pink recycling sack include:
- Plastic bottles with lids left on. Including plastic cleaning, detergent and shampoo bottles
- Plastic pots, tubs and trays such as yoghurt pots and ice cream tubs
- Paper and cardboard
- Metal items such as tins, cans and aerosols
- Textiles, clothing, shoes and handbags. Please note, these items should be placed in a pink sack separate to other recycling materials with a note placed on the bag.
Please ensure items are clean and dry before recycling. Find out more about items that are and are not accepted in your pink recycling sack.
Items accepted in your fortnightly orange recycling box include:
- Glass bottles
- Glass jars with lids left on
Please ensure items are clean and dry before recycling. Find out more about items that are and are not accepted in your orange glass recycling box.
Items accepted in your weekly green food and garden waste bin include:
- Cooked and uncooked food waste
- Fruit and vegetables including peelings
- Newspaper if used to line your food caddy
- Grass cuttings
- Shrubs, plants (including house flowers), weeds and leaves
- Small branches
Please empty your food waste caddy into your green waste bin. Find out more about items that are and are not accepted in your green food and garden waste recycling bin.
Basildon general rubbish collection
Items accepted in your weekly general rubbish black sack include:
- Items which cannot be placed in your recycling containers
- Nappies and incontinence waste
- Food pouches
- Crisp packets
- Bubble wrap
- Plastic film, such as cling film
- Medicine blister pack
- Pet bedding and litter
Find out more about items that are and are not accepted in your general rubbish black sack.
Basildon special (bulky waste) collection
It may be possible for you to arrange a special or bulky waste collection for large items or electrical items from your household. Please note there may be a charge for this service.
Find out more about special collections in Basildon and book a collection.
Basildon clinical waste collection
Clinical waste includes human or animal tissue, blood or bodily fluids, excretions, drugs or other pharmaceutical products, swabs or dressings and syringes, needles or other sharp instruments, that may put human health at risk.
Clinical waste is not accepted in your kerbside collection or at any Essex County Council recycling centre. Clinical waste produced by a healthcare worker during a visit to your home should be removed by them. For clinical waste that is generated at home by self-treatment, contact Basildon Borough Council for a clinical waste collection.
Find your nearest recycling centre in Basildon
Recycling centres are for your own household waste only. Your nearest Essex County Council recycling centre in Basildon is Pitsea Recycling Centre. Barleylands Recycling Centre can also be used by Basildon Borough Council residents, however a different set of items may be accepted at this site. Please check recycling centre opening times and site restrictions before visiting.