Monday 6 July 2020
Every year an estimated 2 million tonnes of electrical items are thrown away in the UK. These are products that either have a plug or need batteries to work.
Repair electrical items where possible
If your electrical items are still working but you no longer want them, then it easy to find a great causes to pass on your electrical items.
From time to time, electrical items will stop working. Wherever possible, it’s best to try and fix items before getting rid of them. This may mean contacting a professional or even learning the skills yourself. If this is not for you then you can use the search above, simply by entering you item and your postcode to find local places you can recycle your broken electricals and spent batteries – it’s that easy!
Recycle electrical items at your library
Most libraries in Essex have now re-introduced their battery and small electrical recycling services. Please ask a member of staff at your local library for more information.
Every library in Essex will have a small battery recycling box, which accepts household batteries (e.g. AA, AAA, 6V and D batteries) and batteries from mobile phones and laptops. Speak to library staff for more details.
Larger batteries such as those from cars can be recycled at an Essex County Council recycling centre, as long as it is from your own home or car.
The following libraries have a wheeled container where you can recycle any broken electrical items. Please place items, including cables, into the container loose wherever possible.
- Billericay Library - 143 High Street, Billericay, CM12 9AB
- Braintree Library - Fairfield Road, Braintree, CM7 3YL
- Brightlingsea Library - New Street, Brightlingsea, CO7 0BZ
- Canvey Island Library - High Street, Canvey Island, SS8 7RB
- Chelmsford Library - County Hall, Market Road, Chelmsford, CM1 1QH
- Clacton Library - Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1SF
- Earls Colne Library - 38 High Street, Earls Colne, CO6 2PA
- Frinton Library - 59 Old Road, Frinton-on-Sea, CO13 9DA
- Fryerns Library - Whitmore Way, Basildon, SS14 2NN
- Galleywood Library - Watchouse Road, Galleywood, CM2 8PU
- Great Baddow Library - 27 High Street, Great Baddow, CM2 7HH
- Great Tarpots Library - 127 London Road, Benfleet, SS7 5UH
- Hadleigh Library - 180 London Road, Hadleigh, SS7 2PD
- Halstead Library - Bridge Street, Halstead, CO9 1HU
- Harwich Library - Upper Kingsway, CO12 3JT
- Hockley Library - Southend Road, Hockley, SS5 4PZ
- Holland Library - Public Hall, Frinton Road, Holland-on-Sea, CO15 5UR
- Hullbridge Library - Ferry Road, Hullbridge, SS5 6ET
- Kelvedon Library - Aylett's Foundation School, Maldon Road, CO5 9BA
- Laindon Library - 5-7 New Century Road, Laindon, Basildon, SS15 6AG
- Manningtree Library - High Street, Manningtree, CO11 1AD
- North Melbourne Library - Dickens Place, Copperfield Road, Chelmsford, CM1 4UU
- Rayleigh Library - 132/4 High Street, Rayleigh, SS6 7BX
- Rochford Library - 8 Roche Close, Rochford, SS4 1PX
- Saffron Walden Library - 2 King Street, CB10 1ES
- Sible Hedingham Library - 169 Swan Street, Sible Hedingham, CO9 3PX
- South Benfleet Library - 264 High Road, Benfleet, SS7 5HD
- South Woodham Ferrers Library - Trinity Square, South Woodham Ferrers, CM3 5JU
- Springfield Library - St Augustine's Way, Chelmsford, CM1 6GX
- Walton Library - 52 High Street, Walton-on-the-Naze, CO14 8AE
- West Clacton Library - Jaywick Lane, Clacton-on-Sea, CO16 8BE
- Wickford Library - Market Road, Wickford, SS12 0AG
- Witham Library - 18 Newland Street, Witham, CM8 2AQ
- Writtle Library - 45 The Green, Writtle, Chelmsford, CM1 3DT